JEA’s Meaningful Moments® program is the foundation of our person-focused care model. Meaningful Moments is a family-centered concept that starts by learning everything there is to know about our residents – their passions, achievements, careers, family, hobbies, and interests.
This knowledge allows our team members to develop individualized plans of care around each residents’ unique life story. Through our Meaningful Moments program, we are able to create moments of delight, wonder, and meaning for our residents while providing care each day.
Our Meaningful Moments program is built on five cornerstones: Programming, Family Partnerships, Education, Innovation, and Specialized Dining.
This blog post highlights the cornerstone of Ongoing Education – for more information on the other cornerstones of Meaningful Moments, please view our related posts below:
- Meaningful Moments Cornerstones: Individualized Programming
- Meaningful Moments Cornerstones: Family Partnerships
At JEA Senior Living, we pride ourselves on delivering quality care for our residents while honoring their experience of aging. Quality care requires several key components, the most important of which is the Ongoing Education of our Team Members and even educational resources and pieces of training for members of our local communities.
Ongoing Education allows our team to stay up-to-date on best practices.
Each JEA Team Member undergoes specialized dementia training which includes:
- The JEA philosophy of care
- Utilizing a resident’s life story to create Meaningful Moments
- Understanding Alzheimer’s disease, related dementia, and their progression
- Understanding behaviors as unmet needs
- As well as how to interpret, communicate and resolve unmet needs
- Communication tools and techniques for those experiencing memory loss
Our community teams work diligently to ensure that all Team Members receive Ongoing Education on a monthly basis to deepen their understanding and expertise in providing the best Dementia Care.
We also work with family members and those in our local communities to provide educational resources and complimentary training sessions. This is in order to educate families about their loved one’s journey and to provide our health partners with valuable tools to work successfully with our residents. Recently we added a new tool – Dementia Live – to our resources for Ongoing Education.
Dementia Live is an innovative program designed by a team of dementia experts from AGE-u-cate Training Institute. Dementia Live simulates the experience of dementia, resulting in a deeper understanding of what it’s like to live with the disease. It does this by using special equipment to help simulate the cognitive impairments and sensory changes that are part of living with dementia. Through this process, participants gain a sense of the obstacles and difficulties those living with dementia face on a daily basis.
This unique and innovative program helps:
- Increase empathy and understanding of what it’s like for people living with cognitive impairment by allowing people to experience many of the symptoms and challenges of dementia.
- Improve family engagement and participation by providing a catalyst for meaningful communication, improving the quality of family visits.
- Boost employee skills and morale by improving relationships with residents/patients; Reduces care-partner stress; Contributes to improved retention rates; Higher employee satisfaction
By offering this education to the community and resident health partners we are leading the way in providing the highest quality, compassionate care for our residents and those in need.
Team Members at Greenfield Estates in Copley, Ohio, were able to provide training for their local Copley Fire Department and equip emergency responders with much-needed tools for interacting with seniors and those affected by related dementia.
Team members at River Oaks in Miami Township, Ohio and Mount Pleasant Gardens in Rogers, Arkansas, were recently able to focus on team-building and deepening their dementia expertise through this training.
What we’ve seen is nothing short of remarkable. By allowing participants to experience first-hand the challenges people living with dementia face, they come away with a deeper understanding and greater compassion for them. This has led to greater compassion and empathy for these brave individuals, which, in the long run, leads to our residents receiving better care.
Interested in learning more about our Meaningful Moments program and our Ongoing Educational resources?
Please contact your local community for information on our virtual support groups and dementia education resources. We look forward to speaking with you and providing support for you and your loved one.